USPS Tracking not Updating: USPS tracking feature allows users to track the status of their mail items or packages which are shipped through them. Visit usps.com to track your package.
A unique ID called tracking number is required to track the package. USPS allot a unique tracking number to each item which is shipped through them.
People face many queries related to USPS tracking such as lost tracking number, how to track a package, what is a tracking number, how to or where to find the tracking number, is it possible to track a package without tracking number, USPS tracking not updating, etc. Through this post, we’re covering the issue of USPS tracking not updating.
USPS tracking works absolutely fine most of the time, but there may be few circumstances where the tracking is not updating. Let’s understand the issue in detail.
My USPS Tracking is not Updating, What to do now?
If you’re seeing this message i.e. “USPS delivery status not updated” then this means your tracking information is not updated.
If your tracking information is not updating then you need to first make sure that you’re entering the correct tracking number. Following are the place where you can get the tracking number.
- Check the Post Office shipping receipt
- Find tracking number on the Sales receipt, if you bought insurance at the Post Office
- Check the confirmation Email from USPS.
- See a bottom peel-off portion of USPS Tracking label
- The back of the orange slip you received if you missed a USPS delivery
If a problem persists even after entering the correct tracking number, then there might be some issues on the letter carrier side.
What are the reasons behind USPS Tracking Not Updating?
Before understanding the reasons, firstly you need to know “how tracking actually works”
USPS tracking is an end to end mechanism. Every shipment has a barcode which is scanned as a package moves from place to the another. A barcode is scanned multiple time before reaching the destination. You see tracking updates on your dashboard whenever a barcode is scanned.
This is a basic process of how tracking works. Click here to understand in details. Now, let’s come back to the possible reasons for tracking not updating.
Here are few reasons of USPS not updating:
- Package Not Scanned: Barcode scanning is the reason why you’re seeing tracking updates. There is a possibility that a barcode is not scanned due to any reason and that’s why your tracking is not updating. Tracking information won’t update until the scanning is done.
- Weather Conditions: Weather could be the reason why your tracking is not updating. Sometimes the packages get stuck in the middle due to bad weather conditions.
- Packages are not scanned at intermediary stops: As mentioned above that a package is scanned multiple time before reaching the destination. There might be chances that a package is not scanned at intermediary stops due to unavoidable reasons or circumstances.
- Broken or Unscannable Barcode: A barcode won’t be scanned properly if it is broken or unscannable.
- Delay on the part of the carrier: There might be a delay on the part of the carrier and that’s why your tracking is not updating.
I’ve received my packages, but still USPS tracking is not updating
This is also a possibility, it happens mostly during the holiday period when there is a rush of mail packages. In such situations, USPS may skip the scanning process in order to tackle the huge demand.
Hence, when the USPS is already lagging behind, to move the packages quicker, they often skip the scanning which leads to the USPS tracking not found.
Now you know the reasons behind no updates in the tracking information. Wait for the package to arrive at the receiver address. If a package has not arrived within the given time frame then contact USPS customer support
You can file a claim or file a refund request if your package hasn’t arrived even after the time duration.